Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Non incandescent bulbs?

On Aug 8, 11:58*am, terry wrote:
Picked up the following quote on a technical news group where a
particular thread was expressing concern about the severe
deterioration of 'ordinary' AM (Amplitude Modulated) radio broadcasts.
Much of it, probably (most likely?) in the opinion of some who feel
they are technically informed, due the mandatory introduction of
digital TV?

Yeah, I know complain to your Congressman or government member! that
you had to buy a new TV, or install a new TV antenna etc.

Quote: "The low wattage (CFL) light bulbs also generate more noise
than illumination. A neighbor
almost burned his house down due to the failure of one of the little
power supplies in the
base of the bulb** which overheated while he was away from home. He
went back to using incandescents and his RFI (Radio Frequency noise
Interference) has improved although the HDTV (High Definition
'digital' TV) remains his nemesis".

** Locally: We had one CFL that failed and 'fell apart'; around same
time someone posted on a news group about a CFL that had burned up.
Then within days there was an incident discussed on a local radio show
about a local doctor who had a CFL catch fire and burn up a light
fixture. Fortunately it happened while the doctor was at home; she
smelled the burning and tracked down the problem; but the lamp fixture
was ruined.

Overall this business of *RFI (Interference) is increasing; due to the
multiplicity of electronic 'gadgets' and additional consumers
services. One buys some cheap gadget (perhaps a dimmer, or touch-on
lamp or programmable something or other) supposedly FCC and or UL or
CSA (Canadian Standards Association) approved and then wonders why a
certain radio station or door opener doesn't work as reliably as
before!

KISS, Keep it simple sir, is maybe the best policy?

I bet selling incandesants is in your declining line of work. I use
near 100 cfl at several locations and cut my overall bill 30-50% using
them, they last, HD has a 7 yr warranty, I will only buy incandesants-
halogen for where I must.

The incandesant lightbulb is actualy an electric heater, outputting
only 3-6% of energy consumed as light you see, anybody relying on AC
in summer doesnt need a bigger bill from incandesants, do they.
Incandesants should be heavily taxed, CFls should be subsidised from
the tax.

This reminds me of my film camera store, still pushing film a few
years ago, he closed his business recently.