Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Skil Digital Angle Finder: huge mistake!

dadiOH wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
Tom Veatch wrote:
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 15:41:34 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

The wrong angle.
In the case of my original example, I would have a 20 degree gap in
my joint.
Only if you use the cutoff instead of the workpiece.

You do have to remember that with acute angles, the cutoff is on one
side of the blade and with obtuse angles the cutoff is on the
opposite side of the blade. Which is which depends on whether you
use a left or right miter setting.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Ok, I'm beginning to picture this, now.

I still say they should program the chip so you have a choice of what
angle you want displayed, kept side, cutoff side, left setting, right
setting, whatever.

Like dadiOH wrote, if you have a 150 degree corner, you can't set the
miter saw to 75 degrees, so why would they display that?

Praise be and hallelujah! At last...

I still contend that the little chip (which any computer programming
freshman could do) should offer options for the user, depending on which
way they want to measure the angle.

My 12" CMS goes to almost 50 degrees in both directions, which enables
me to handle many slightly obtuse (carpenter was hungover) corner trim
pieces.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)