Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default How to kill those "Klunkers"

In article , George wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 09:37:10 -0400, George wrote:

SNIP to here to edit for space

You seem awfully confused. Obama told us that the government found this
money someplace and he is a really smart guy..

Except that he never said any such thing. You need to develop some
more plausible lies if you're going to use strawmen as your primary
argumentative style.

No strawman involved. They ran through the first billion and Obama said
they "found" more money to keep the program going.

And just to give you a chance to enlighten us apparently confused folks
where exactly does he actually get the money to pay for these programs?

It will come from you and me. It's our money.

Meanwhile, one question I think worth asking is: How much value did the
cars being clunkerjunked have above their scrap value?
If that exceeds how much more they would have cost to operate through
the remainders of their natural lives than their replacements would cost
for same miles, then America as a whole is losing from the destruction of
these cars. (Decrease the fuel cost difference by the loss of the portion
of fuel taxes actually used to effectively serve the taxpayers.)

I would have had this program changed to require a bigger upgrade in
fuel economy, minimum of either 70% MPG improvement or both 9 MPG
improvement and 50% MPG improvement by the new car over the destroyed one.

(I would have improvement by 50-69% but by under 9 MPG qualify for a
smaller rebate, to provide an incentive to take an easily available larger
improvement.)

- Don Klipstein )