Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Need advice on purchasing a home with no basement

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in
news

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news m...
In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am
wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range &
to move
the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another
wall,also
add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Chances are pretty good the plumbing is in the slab and would
require jackhammering holes and trenches to relocate it then
patching the concrete
which is difficult but doable..Wiring is probably above the
ceiling and
goes
down the walls....Plan on a complete gut of the kitchen which by
the sounds
you are doing anyway...Probably not a DIYer project....Adding
outlets in
other rooms probably would require holes in the ceiling and walls
that would
require patching and painting...Not a nightmare for pros but
could be for
DIYer...Expensive as well , especially the kitchen
part.........HTH...

I didn't infer "slab" from "no basement."

If there is NO access under the house it must be on a slab...I've
seen a few
houses like he described...Usually a modular or stick built ranch on
a slab..Yes , even in the northeast...LOL....I guess I infered
right....

No basement typically means "crawlspace" in the northeast. Slab on
grade construction doesn't generally cut it with the frost depths up
there.

BULL****...There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of homes here in Maine , NH ,
Mass ,Vt. , NY , ect , built on SLABS...Not to mention all the mobile
homes , garages and sheds sitting on slabs....Your full of **** clear
to your ears....No basement does NOT typically mean there is a crawl
space...You're an idiot....Have you ever even been "up here" ???
LOL....

hmmm, maybe the slab goes down past the frost line. Heck, even my parents
who bought an 1800s house had a basement.

Sometimes there is a frost wall depending on the load...For example..When I
had my garage built we talked to the contractor about having a second floor
for a mother-in-law apt..With the extra weight load it would have required a
frost wall for it to sit on with the slab poured inside it..With a regular
garage and breeze way addition a regular 6 inch slab was all that was
needed...I did put 1 inch styrofoam underneath it but I know PLENTY who
didn't...Slabs are very common up here in Maine where it can get to -20
REGULARLY especially for modest priced homes...Full basements are very
expensive especially if you have to blast ledge or haul in alot of fill if
you set it on the ledge....They didn't do slabs in the 1800's and they
needed a "root cellar" usually only 3-5 feet deep to store potatos , turnup
, carrots , ect. as well as coal in the winter....My parents 1800's house
has a 4-5 foot cellar with ledge sticking up every where...A real head
banger...LOL...