Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice on purchasing a home with no basement

Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 12:06*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Wood frame construction???
Not much info to go on. making assumptions here that "new kitchen"
means refitting the existing kitchen area?
Or is it intention to 'build onto' the existing structure by adding a
new kitchen?
Either way one idea might be to build a small annexe or 'back porch'
cum storeroom backing if possible onto to the kitchen wall. Then put
the electric service in there with very short new wiring to the
various kitchen items. But if you do that codes in most places may
require a complete up grade of the total electric system. Not just
grandfathering some additional or replacement wiring. Is the existing
wiring and electric supply services up to satisfactory and insurable
standard? Does the power now come in overhead or below ground; gas or
electric cooking; ................ so many questions!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Chances are pretty good the plumbing is in the slab and would require
jackhammering holes and trenches to relocate it then patching the concrete
which is difficult but doable..Wiring is probably above the ceiling and goes
down the walls....Plan on a complete gut of the kitchen which by the sounds
you are doing anyway...Probably not a DIYer project....Adding outlets in
other rooms probably would require holes in the ceiling and walls that would
require patching and painting...Not a nightmare for pros but could be for a
DIYer...Expensive as well , especially the kitchen part.........HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't infer "slab" from "no basement."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 10:06:07 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

I'd want a basement, unless I were living in a flood zone. Makes
plumbing and electrical easy. Skip the house and buy one that doesn't
need a new kitchen *and* has a basement. Basements are perfect for
home repair projects.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 6, 12:33*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

snip

I didn't infer "slab" from "no basement."

Neither did I infer 'piers' or 'crawl space' from no basement. More
information from OP would be useful to get some better ideas for his
project.
Agree with Big Jim; long term a house with a basement is far less
aggravation than other options.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering
how would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to
move the Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also
add electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.

Do they build homes on slab in PA? I wouldn't think so. If not, you must
have a crawl space; if so, think of it as a short basement

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do they build homes on slab in PA? �I wouldn't think so. �If not, you must
have a crawl space; if so, think of it as a short basement �

--

dadiOH

I live in PA there are slab homes here, hard to resell..........

basements are a must have for me
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"dadiOH" wrote:

desgnr wrote:
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering
how would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to
move the Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also
add electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.

Do they build homes on slab in PA? I wouldn't think so. If not, you must
have a crawl space; if so, think of it as a short basement

Please, let's try to be p.c. It's a vertically challenged basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Will give you an opinion from a Texan!! We don't have basements and very
few have attics! The houses are called "Ranch Style", and most older homes
are single story. Newer and larger homes are two/three story, yet still NO
basements. You just have to do some preplanning when you want to remodel,
etc.

Bill

"desgnr" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Posted to alt.home.repair

I lived in Las Vegas for many years, and owned several homes with no
basement. The plumbing drains are all set in concrete - literally - and that
is where they are, period. Want to move a drain? Easy - dig up your
foundation and move it.

If you can't run the pipe through a wall to the existing drain, then either
you dig up your foundation, or you don't do anything at all. I never found
this to be a problem, but I never did any remodeling that required plumbing
to be relocated.

I now have a home with full basement, and I love it! Wiring, plumbing, you
name it, it's all there and it's all exposed.

"desgnr" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Homes in tX are so cheap compared to the NE that one justs builds an
outbuilding and that handles storage and workshop needs.

"desgnr" wrote in message

Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

If there is NO access under the house it must be on a slab...I've seen a few
houses like he described...Usually a modular or stick built ranch on a
slab..Yes , even in the northeast...LOL....I guess I infered right....

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move
the Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also
add electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hmmm,
Sounds VERY weird. No basement, no attic? House made from a
container? Definitely unusual house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
Do they build homes on slab in PA? �I wouldn't think so. �If not, you must
have a crawl space; if so, think of it as a short basement �

--

dadiOH

I live in PA there are slab homes here, hard to resell..........

basements are a must have for me

Hi,
I thought PA is cold in winter. No freezing in water pipes w/o basement
or attic. How do they run water pipes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hmmm,
Sounds VERY weird. No basement, no attic? House made from a
container? Definitely unusual house.

By no attic he probably means just a 2X2 access hatch in a closet and just a
crawlspace thru the trusses with no floor...One wrong step and your thru the
ceiling...Been there done that , got the tee shirt...He probably didn't see
it when he toured the house....Pretty common in Modular(double wides) and
cheap stick built ranches on a slab....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
bob haller wrote:
Do they build homes on slab in PA? �I wouldn't think so. �If not, you
must
have a crawl space; if so, think of it as a short basement �

--

dadiOH

I live in PA there are slab homes here, hard to resell..........

basements are a must have for me

Hi,
I thought PA is cold in winter. No freezing in water pipes w/o basement or
attic. How do they run water pipes?

Below the frost line and up thru the slab....They don't freeze...

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
[...]

Little better than a big tent?
I just can't believe No. 1 powerful country like U.S. has houses like
that??? Are they built per code? Fire, flood, quake, general safety, all
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Do they build homes on slab in PA? I wouldn't think so. If not, you must
have a crawl space; if so, think of it as a short basement

You mean like those thousands of slab homes in Levittown, PA? Given that
the state has a population of over 12,000,000, I'd bet there are many slab
homes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

By no attic he probably means just a 2X2 access hatch in a closet and
just a crawlspace thru the trusses with no floor...One wrong step and
your thru the ceiling...Been there done that , got the tee shirt...He
probably didn't see it when he toured the house....Pretty common in
Modular(double wides) and cheap stick built ranches on a slab....

Hmmm,
Little better than a big tent?
I just can't believe No. 1 powerful country like U.S. has houses like
that??? Are they built per code? Fire, flood, quake, general safety, all
that.

Tens of thousands of them. Maybe hundreds of thousands of them.

In some locations there is so much ledge it is just not possible to make a
hole in the ground. It would be blasting out solid rock. Other parts of
the country have high water tables and it would be like building a house
over a swimming pool. Those modestly cost houses made the American dream
come true for many families.

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

No basement typically means "crawlspace" in the northeast. Slab on grade
construction doesn't generally cut it with the frost depths up there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

[...]

Here in my area in Maine the Ledge is BAD...I have a full basement but it is
built into the side of a hill and they poured the foundation and filled in
around it on 3 sides...The front wall in the basement is wood with a door
and windows...LOTS of fill..You can't dig 3 feet most places around here
without explosives...LOL..Lots of slab , and partial or crawl space
basements here.....Not a damn thing wrong with it either....Not everyone can
afford a macmansion....Me included...Ranch with a full basement here...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
Is it a good idea to purchse a home with NO basement ?
The reason i ask is because it needs a new Kitchen & i am wondering how
would i go about relocating the Electric line for the Range & to move the
Plumbing supplies & drain to relocate the Sink.
How can this be acomplished ?
I know with a Basement it would be an easy task.
Also what if i need to relocate the Cable hookup to another wall,also add
electric outlets.
Would this create a nightmare ?
Or can it be easily acomplished.
The home is in Pennsylvania.
Also there is no attic.
Any ideas & suggestions greatly appreciated.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Hi,
In Arizona weather is very mild. Been there many times. I know you can
have a full basement there if you want to. Cost is the matter. Where I
live, not having a full basement is almost unthinkable. There are old
houses built during the war which most of them now have dug out
basement(like retrofitting one). Our frost line is over 6 feet deep.
Right now a friend of mine is building a house and he ran into a big
boulder while excavating for basement. To clear the obstacle, it cost
him 20K but basement is poured according to plan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

BULL****...There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of homes here in Maine , NH , Mass
,Vt. , NY , ect , built on SLABS...Not to mention all the mobile homes ,
garages and sheds sitting on slabs....Your full of **** clear to your
ears....No basement does NOT typically mean there is a crawl space...You're
an idiot....Have you ever even been "up here" ??? LOL....

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, I see you're another trolling child. Grow up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cm wrote:
Almost every home in Arizona is built without a basement. Life goes
on here.

I'm in Houston. Houston is built on 500' feet of clay... before you get to
sandstone. The tall buildings downtown are constructed on "floating"
foundations and not anchored in bedrock.

The tall buildings here have basements - that's what holds them up! But
nothing shorter than about five stories has below-ground construction -
certainly not residences, three-story condos, apartment buildings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 8:23�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
cm wrote:
Almost every home in Arizona is built without a basement. Life goes
on here.

I'm in Houston. Houston is built on 500' feet of clay... before you get to
sandstone. The tall buildings downtown are constructed on "floating"
foundations and not anchored in bedrock.

The tall buildings here have basements - that's what holds them up! But
nothing shorter than about five stories has below-ground construction -
certainly not residences, three-story condos, apartment buildings.

basments are standard in most northern climates because the footer
must be below the frost line.

by the time you go that deep might as well make it a basement, adds
little cost
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
cm wrote:
Almost every home in Arizona is built without a basement. Life goes
on here.

I'm in Houston. Houston is built on 500' feet of clay... before you get to
sandstone. The tall buildings downtown are constructed on "floating"
foundations and not anchored in bedrock.

The tall buildings here have basements - that's what holds them up! But
nothing shorter than about five stories has below-ground construction -
certainly not residences, three-story condos, apartment buildings.

Hi,
Up here in Calgary is pretty similar. Clay or sandstones. No wonder we
have kazillion lakes small and big and ponds every where. One reason
they can't build subways. Downtown high rise commercial buildings are
like yours with mandatory bilge pumps deep in multi level
basement(parkade). I am a life time ham and due to the soil condition
hams here have problem with poor electrical ground which affects our
antenna arrays performance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It would be great to have a basement here in AZ just to escape the summer
heat. Several days in July my thermometer read 117.
I grew up in Michigan and started sleeping in the basement because my dad
was to cheap to run the heat much. I loved the somewhat constant temps down
there.

There are always remodeling work arounds if you don't have a basement to run
utilities through.

cm

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
cm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

HeyBub wrote:

cm wrote:

[...]

Hi, living in NH with big basement, but lived for years in basementless Houston. Recall on a home repair radio show in Houston a talk about basements. Then can be dug and incorporated in houston (for less money than buildiing a second floor!). Just that no one does it...

The former owner of my NH house is a contractor that regularly
'lifts'/jacks up houses and carves out a basement under them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Tony Hwang wrote in news:u9Wem.128653$zq1.22193
@newsfe22.iad:

Up here in Calgary is pretty similar. Clay or sandstones. No wonder we
have kazillion lakes small and big and ponds every where. One reason
they can't build subways.

They built/build subways in Amsterdam. Below ground water level. Most
homes in Holland have basements. Below ground water level. I think they
just know how to make them waterproof. The weight of the house probaby
keeps it from floating away.

The problems with building the subway in Amsterdam have to do with the
pumping away too much ground water. damages the foundation structure. The
wooden poles in the water and ground start rotting when they get exposed to
air, and the buildings start cracking.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

what you're not gonna back up your bull****....Typical of somebody who has
been shown for the idiot they are....Call me a childish name , then run and
hide...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

When you grow up, perhaps you will actually be able to purchase a house
of your own instead of leaching off of public assistance. In the
meantime, pay attention in science class so you might understand what
happens when water freezes.

As for me, I lived in the miserable frozen northeast for several
decades, so I understand frost lines and the need for deep footings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in
news

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news m...
In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

hmmm, maybe the slab goes down past the frost line. Heck, even my parents
who bought an 1800s house had a basement.

Sometimes there is a frost wall depending on the load...For example..When I
had my garage built we talked to the contractor about having a second floor
for a mother-in-law apt..With the extra weight load it would have required a
frost wall for it to sit on with the slab poured inside it..With a regular
garage and breeze way addition a regular 6 inch slab was all that was
needed...I did put 1 inch styrofoam underneath it but I know PLENTY who
didn't...Slabs are very common up here in Maine where it can get to -20
REGULARLY especially for modest priced homes...Full basements are very
expensive especially if you have to blast ledge or haul in alot of fill if
you set it on the ledge....They didn't do slabs in the 1800's and they
needed a "root cellar" usually only 3-5 feet deep to store potatos , turnup
, carrots , ect. as well as coal in the winter....My parents 1800's house
has a 4-5 foot cellar with ledge sticking up every where...A real head
banger...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

benick wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,

,
[...]

Then you should also know MANY single story ranches and double wides sit on
slabs as well as MANY garages including the one I'm looking at out my window
here in Maine with no deep footings...Many moblehomes sit on slabs as
well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
benick wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...
benick wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...
benick wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"benick" wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, you CAN make a slab house in the frozen north, or (more common in
the areas I have lived in) a crawlspace house, but why would you want
to? Unless the lot has a high water table or underground spring, a
basement is the cheapest enclosed space you can add at time of original
construction. The footers for the slab or crawl have to be below frost
line anyway, so you make as well go down another 4 feet. If the
excavator, and the mason or concrete truck, have to be on site anyway,
the cost of the additional digging and wall is trivial compared to the
overall cost of the house. If I ever get enough money to build a house,
it will definitely have a basement. Nice bare concrete, with floor
drains, and a walkout door, if at all possible.

Haven't seen many pier or sleeper houses up north, but they are
dirt-common down south.

--
aem sends...