Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SOLVED!!? Electric motor, again, help

I'd oil the bearings if nothing else. Oil might have floated away.
Martin

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Removed motor from cement mixer. Chiseled off chunks of splattered
concrete from motor. Used a bearing puller to remove crusted on small
pulley from motor shaft. While tapping on the end of the puller the
motor shaft suddenly freed up and was able to turn.
Plugged it in and it runs fine. Fairly quiet!

Question: Tear it down further to look at bearings .. or .. use as is.

BTW motor is: Dayton, 1HP, Cap. Start, Therm. Protected model 6K562F.
Took a lot of scrubbing to get that information. Bearings = Ball Note
on nameplate says that they are permanently lubricated and require no
further lubrication. Does this mean they are sealed and water cannot
get in?

What would you guys do? Use it as is (while cautiously waiting for
bearing noise to develop) or, make it a new project.

Thanks for all the previous advice.

Ivan Vegvary
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Okay, I finally took the electric motor (3/4 hp, capacitor start) off
the cement mixer. This is the motor that got flooded under water for
about a day or two (about 4 months ago).

Shaft will not turn. What's my next step? Tap on it with a soft
mallet? Try to take the end caps off? Move the shaft axially?

If you've done this, please advise. If you think it's a lost cause,
tell me.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary