Tom Watson

Default Master Cabinetmaker

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:09:25 GMT, "Bob S." wrote:

In another thread (Building Kitchen Cabinets), one post referenced a
particular author and web site. I viewed the sample the author provides of
his book and in it, he states that he is a master cabinetmaker. I have no
argument with that but am wondering what organization in the US has the
right / authority to bestow the title of master cabinetmaker?

Would seem that to be called a master cabinetmaker, there must be some form
of testing, certification or review by a recognized organization that
confirms your work meets the degree of craftsmanship required to be
considered a master. I can find numerous references to "master
cabinetmakers" but nothing on how that title is achieved.

There is no legitimizing agency in the United States that confers the
title of "Master Cabinetmaker." If you can afford to have business
cards printed up with your name and "Master Cabinetmaker" linked to
it, no one can force you not to do so, regardless of your skill level.

The term is often self applied to indicate mastery of one's craft but
it has no basis in objective standards.

In days past it indicated the owner of the shop who employed
apprentices and journeyman level craftsmen and who was the "Master" of
his business in the way a ship's captain is "Master" of his ship.
(please don't turn this into a thread about marine licensing.)

The term "Master Carpenter", as used to describe Norm on TOH, is a
theatrical term meant to designate the lead carpenter in a theatrical
production and has the same descriptive function as terms like,
"Grip", "Key Grip", etc. In theatrical work he would be the "Master"
of the other carpenters involved in the production.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson