Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT - Impact wrench ideas

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Just bought a small compressor at Harbor Freight, for
inflating tires, etc. Also wish to run an impact wrench for
occasional car repairs.

I did some internet research. On the HF web site, Some of
them take 4 CFM, others much more air than that. Of course,
on Ebay I can get all kinds of choices. And naturally, I
find that Sears has impact wenches. I don't much like the
entire Sears company, so that's lower on my list.

I think Walmart also has an impact wrench, or two.

I'd go an extra dollar or two, to get a bit better quality.
I'd like a 1/2 impact that's small enough to get under
fenders, or into steering mechanisms. Like pulling out the
allen wrench head pins from Chevrolet front brakes. That is
a moment where my full size electric plug in impact wrench
won't fit. Too long from tip to tail.

Anyone have experiences to share, with impact wrenches?
Favorite brands, etc?

You probably don't have enough air for anything but a very small one and
even that isn't certain depending on what compressor it actually is.
Most HF compressors are optimistically-rated while most inexpensive
i-w's are also (which two ratings are diametrically opposed).

As for experience/favorites -- can't beat I-R (but bring $$)...