Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Impact wrench ideas

Just bought a small compressor at Harbor Freight, for
inflating tires, etc. Also wish to run an impact wrench for
occasional car repairs.

I did some internet research. On the HF web site, Some of
them take 4 CFM, others much more air than that. Of course,
on Ebay I can get all kinds of choices. And naturally, I
find that Sears has impact wenches. I don't much like the
entire Sears company, so that's lower on my list.

I think Walmart also has an impact wrench, or two.

I'd go an extra dollar or two, to get a bit better quality.
I'd like a 1/2 impact that's small enough to get under
fenders, or into steering mechanisms. Like pulling out the
allen wrench head pins from Chevrolet front brakes. That is
a moment where my full size electric plug in impact wrench
won't fit. Too long from tip to tail.

Anyone have experiences to share, with impact wrenches?
Favorite brands, etc?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

You probably don't have enough air for anything but a very small one and
even that isn't certain depending on what compressor it actually is.
Most HF compressors are optimistically-rated while most inexpensive
i-w's are also (which two ratings are diametrically opposed).

As for experience/favorites -- can't beat I-R (but bring $$)...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 09:17:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I vote for the Ingersoll Rand. They got the balls to remove the nuts. They
also need high volume & pressure air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

There's always "enough air" if you have 90psi or so. It's a matter of
'how long' can i pull the trigger. Judging from what you describe, i'd
buy an air ratchet first. But any old 1/2 drive impact will probably do
your automotive tasks. Ingersol rand makes a good one but they're a bit
pricy. Chicago Pneumatic are good also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your compressor is most likely to small to make use of a meaningful
impact wrench. For an air impact to do it's job there needs to be
adequate CFM and a large enough static air tank behind it to generate
real torque.

You made a very common mistake with too small a compressor if you
intended to try to use an air impact.

on sale.

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How pricey, for IR? I know... DAGS. My air compressor is 0.6
scfm, and I do plan to use the impact in very brief bursts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RLM" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 09:17:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

You probably don't have enough air for anything but a very
small one and
even that isn't certain depending on what compressor it
actually is.
Most HF compressors are optimistically-rated while most
inexpensive
i-w's are also (which two ratings are diametrically
opposed).

As for experience/favorites -- can't beat I-R (but bring
$$)...

I vote for the Ingersoll Rand. They got the balls to remove
the nuts. They
also need high volume & pressure air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My mechanic uses the side handle air ratchet all day, every
day. Looks totally useful.

What I'm thinking. I've had a couple cases where my electric
plug in impact is too long to fit. Removing the pins from
Chevrolet front brake calipers comes to mind.

Isn't Chicago, a Harbor Freight brand?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

There's always "enough air" if you have 90psi or so. It's a
matter of
'how long' can i pull the trigger. Judging from what you
describe, i'd
buy an air ratchet first. But any old 1/2 drive impact will
probably do
your automotive tasks. Ingersol rand makes a good one but
they're a bit
pricy. Chicago Pneumatic are good also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're right, only enough air for very short bursts and a
lot of runtime. IR? I bet that's out of my price range.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message

You probably don't have enough air for anything but a very
small one and
even that isn't certain depending on what compressor it
actually is.
Most HF compressors are optimistically-rated while most
inexpensive
i-w's are also (which two ratings are diametrically
opposed).

As for experience/favorites -- can't beat I-R (but bring
$$)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
I-R, I lucked out from an industrial auction. Runs off 220V and it is
more than what I needed. Changing tires(snow/summer) is a cinch. Blowing
irrigation out for winter, no problem. Using all kinds of tools, sander,
drill, sprayer, etc. Best investment I made. I think that little
compressor is not upto a real wrench.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
How pricey, for IR? I know... DAGS. My air compressor is 0.6
scfm, and I do plan to use the impact in very brief bursts.

It'll never even spin any impact wrench to velocity, what more do any
impact so the "how expensive" question is moot...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker wrote:
There's always "enough air" if you have 90psi or so. It's a matter of
'how long' can i pull the trigger. Judging from what you describe, i'd
buy an air ratchet first. But any old 1/2 drive impact will probably do
your automotive tasks. Ingersol rand makes a good one but they're a bit
pricy. Chicago Pneumatic are good also.

"Enough" in pressure; not likely enough volume, though. The ratchet
_might_ but cheaper tools tend to have higher cfm requirements at the
same performance level. I'd not give it much of a chance but if it's
from someplace w/ return policy all one's out is some shipping perhaps
and the disappointment...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 9:15*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

I got by with a so so compressor for years, and did serious work, like
engine, & transmission changes, Even had an air jack I picked up at a
swap meet. You have to wait for the volume/ pressure to build up, and
a stubborn nut may require a shot of oil in the impact for a little
better seal, but you can do it, though a little slower than you might
like. Mine fortunately had a pretty big tank, but the compressor
wouldn't handle sustained impacting for long. You hammer, you wait,
you hammer some more. We even ran a disc orbital sander, but again 3
minutes would be along run. I have and had an air grinder, that was
out of the question, it was like an open hose. I have a nice dual
stage vertical now, and starting at 160 psi is a lot better than
starting at 120 psi, the air grinder still gets ahead of it though, &
the DA will run a bit longer, maybe 5-7 minutes, but it still will get
ahead of the compressor. I have a big industrial 3 cylinder 2 stage in
the back of my shop waiting on a $300 motor, hopefully that should be
the $hit.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 11:18:32 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How pricey, for IR? I know... DAGS. My air compressor is 0.6
scfm, and I do plan to use the impact in very brief bursts.

http://www.google.com/search?q=impac...ient=firefox-a

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
How pricey, for IR? I know... DAGS. My air compressor is 0.6 scfm, and
I do plan to use the impact in very brief bursts.

It'll never even spin any impact wrench to velocity, what more do any
impact so the "how expensive" question is moot...

Unless you put it on a large pressure tank that it'll take a week ( )
to charge to pressure--which will undoubtedly burn it out overdoing its
duty cycle.

The problem is there just won't be sufficient volume at the pressure for
anything other than the tiniest of air ratchets and even any of them
I've ever used wouldn't work successfully off the pancake
compressors--air motors just take too much volume unlike the nailer
piston that's a very small volume device.

I think whatever you spend $$ on will just be a doorstop until you
acquire a larger compressor along with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll let you know if that's the case. You can have a good
"told you so" in public.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
How pricey, for IR? I know... DAGS. My air compressor is
0.6
scfm, and I do plan to use the impact in very brief
bursts.

It'll never even spin any impact wrench to velocity, what
more do any
impact so the "how expensive" question is moot...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:18:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

How pricey, for IR? I know... DAGS. My air compressor is 0.6
scfm, and I do plan to use the impact in very brief bursts.

Anything less than a 6cfm compressor at 120psi effectively neuters an
Ingersol Rand impact. anything less than a 5 gallon tank and you need
the 6 cfm to run more than a few seconds.

A CP (Chicago Pneumatic) professional gun is less demanding, and
marginally less capable. A campell hausfeild is a poor knockoff of a
CP.

A MAC is/was a rebranded IR.

Snapon used to have a rebranded IR as well from what I remember.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's very possible, you are correct about the under sized
compressor.

Thanks for mention the electric impact. I'm on my second one
of those. First one broke on the 2nd lug of a front brake
and rotor job I was doing for a friend. I was about three
hours drive from home, and not happy to be hand wrenching
the rest of the job. The plug in impact wrench is just too
big for some applications, and the air wrenches are shorter
from front to back.

Of course, I'd use the plug in wrench when possible. Every
time you convert energy from one form to another, there is
energy loss. Just plug in the impact is the most efficient.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"justalurker ." wrote in message
Your compressor is most likely to small to make use of a
meaningful
impact wrench. For an air impact to do it's job there needs
to be
adequate CFM and a large enough static air tank behind it to
generate
real torque.

You made a very common mistake with too small a compressor
if you
intended to try to use an air impact.

when it's
on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm fully expecting to do wrenching in short spurts.

As to your air grinder, I'd suggest you look into an
electric motor powered grinder. Eliminate the air compressor
altogether. Of course, such a grinder might be heavier, or
larger than you want.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message

I have a nice dual
stage vertical now, and starting at 160 psi is a lot better
than
starting at 120 psi, the air grinder still gets ahead of it
though, &
the DA will run a bit longer, maybe 5-7 minutes, but it
still will get
ahead of the compressor. I have a big industrial 3 cylinder
2 stage in
the back of my shop waiting on a $300 motor, hopefully that
should be
the $hit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ingersoll Rand and Chicago Pneumatic are the standards in the
industry. Your compressor will not turn either effectively. No,
CP is NOT a Harbor Freight brand.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got 20 years in a couple careers using 1/2 and 3/8 (real) CP
impact guns and am well aware of their size, advantages, and
disadvantages. Never did like air ratchets... too damn noisy for my
taste.

Never have been able to loosen much of anything with those two CPs and
the toy (pick-up-able) compressor in my garage.

Tried a Harbor Freight electric impact for less than $40 out the door
and it did the job I needed. Must have got a Wednesday one as it has
proved reliable and competent. From what I read, there are lots of
Monday and Friday products at Harbor Freight and it is a crap shoot
but the fact is that nothing one can buy at Harbor Freight is
"tradesman" quality and you do get what you pay for... and sometimes
not.

BTW, Chicago is a Harbor Freight house brand but CP (Chicago
Pneumatic) is NOT. CP and IR are old time, long-lived and well
respected... when made in the USA.

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

justalurker . wrote:
I've got 20 years in a couple careers using 1/2 and 3/8 (real) CP
impact guns and am well aware of their size, advantages, and
disadvantages. Never did like air ratchets... too damn noisy for my
taste.

Never have been able to loosen much of anything with those two CPs and
the toy (pick-up-able) compressor in my garage.

Tried a Harbor Freight electric impact for less than $40 out the door
and it did the job I needed. Must have got a Wednesday one as it has
proved reliable and competent. From what I read, there are lots of
Monday and Friday products at Harbor Freight and it is a crap shoot
but the fact is that nothing one can buy at Harbor Freight is
"tradesman" quality and you do get what you pay for... and sometimes
not.

But quality is not a consideration sometimes. I was at HD recently and
noticed a chap with about ten sponge brushes in his basket (at $1.25 each).
You can get a ten-pack at Harbor Freight for 88¢!

Where quality IS a consideration, HF can sometimes surpass others. Every
builder's square I've ever seen has the measurements stamped into the steel.
After some relatively short time, these numbers become hard to read as the
tool gets slightly oxidized or banged around. I got a replacement ($4.99)
that has the measurements in brown on a yellow enameled background and
couldn't be more pleased.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Where quality IS a consideration, HF can sometimes surpass others. Every
builder's square I've ever seen has the measurements stamped into the steel.
After some relatively short time, these numbers become hard to read as the
tool gets slightly oxidized or banged around. I got a replacement ($4.99)
that has the measurements in brown on a yellow enameled background and
couldn't be more pleased.

I have a lot of my fathers old tools, one of them being a square with
the measurements. It had seen water a few times so in addition to the
dirt there was also rust and it was very hard to read the rulers. I
cleaned off various paint drips and what not then put on a strong mix of
muriatic acid. (Outdoors!!!) It cleaned up like new and I gave it a
coat of car wax.

Somehow a crappy job can go easier when I think of all the times my
father (diseased) used the same tools I have in my hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
My mechanic uses the side handle air ratchet all day, every
day. Looks totally useful.

I normally use mine for disk brake jobs but keep in mind that the air
ratchet doesn't have the power to loosen tight bolts. You have to
loosen them first and then the air ratchet will remove them without you
banging your knuckles back and forth 50 times.

If you can, I'd return the compressor and get something a little bigger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You mean the sidehandle thing that looks a bit like a
ratchet wrench? Yeah, I belive that they don't have much
power.

I'm going to try the compressor, and see how it goes. Money
is tight. I'm sure I'll find it inadequate, and end up
buying a bigger one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
My mechanic uses the side handle air ratchet all day,
every
day. Looks totally useful.

I normally use mine for disk brake jobs but keep in mind
that the air
ratchet doesn't have the power to loosen tight bolts. You
have to
loosen them first and then the air ratchet will remove them
without you
banging your knuckles back and forth 50 times.

If you can, I'd return the compressor and get something a
little bigger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 10:21:20 -0700 (PDT), "justalurker ."
wrote:

[...]

Which CP has NOT been for over 30 years. My first CP was American
built - made in the early sixties. I bought it used (was originally
owned/used by a NASCAR team) in 1968.

My second CP was made ine Ireland in the seventies.. I suspect most
are now made somewhere in the far east.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 16:09:15 -0400, Tony
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

[...]

After acid cleaning, and before waxing, paint the square witha bright
coloured paint. When dry, sand it off and the numbers are very
visible, being filled with bright paint.
wax or varnish when finished.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Both my 1/2" CP734 and my 3/8" CP725 are made in the USA

Professionals buy quality tools and only have to buy them ONCE... 30
years is just a tick of the clock.

I've got a pair of Klein pliers made in 1952 that still easily snap
welding rod.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You mean the sidehandle thing that looks a bit like a
ratchet wrench? Yeah, I belive that they don't have much
power.

I'm going to try the compressor, and see how it goes. Money
is tight. I'm sure I'll find it inadequate, and end up
buying a bigger one.

You might try putting a phillips bit into a 1/4" socket on a standard
ratchet wrench. Sometimes torque is all you need. I recently removed a
faucet handle that way. The screw holding it had 30 years to rust itself
into place, and had stubbornly refused to budge on several prior
attempts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
You mean the sidehandle thing that looks a bit like a
ratchet wrench?

I think we are talking about the same thing. It looks like a ratchet
with a big fat handle and an air fitting on the end.

Yeah, I belive that they don't have much power.

To loosen the bolt you can actually use the air ratchet just like a
normal ratchet so you don't need any more tools.

I'm going to try the compressor, and see how it goes. Money
is tight. I'm sure I'll find it inadequate, and end up
buying a bigger one.

You may want to look for a used one where someone upgraded to a larger
model and wants to sell his old one that is still 4 x bigger than what
you have. That also gives you a better chance at getting something with
a belt driven compressor that isn't so dang noisy as the cheap *oil
less* compressors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

justalurker . wrote:
I've got a pair of Klein pliers made in 1952 that still easily snap
welding rod.

Klein makes great tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does it leave jagged edges, or does it make a klein cut?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
justalurker . wrote:
I've got a pair of Klein pliers made in 1952 that still
easily snap
welding rod.

Klein makes great tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message

justalurker . wrote:
I've got a pair of Klein pliers made in 1952 that still
easily snap
welding rod.

Klein makes great tools.

Stick your finger up to the monitor and I'll show you...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
justalurker . wrote:
I've got a pair of Klein pliers made in 1952 that still easily snap
welding rod.

Klein makes great tools.

That they do- wish I could afford more than the 3 or 4 items I have.
Nobody around here carries their bottles, though. Always wanted one of
those.

---
aem sends...