Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default How to kill those "Klunkers"

On Aug 4, 11:25*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 4, 2:03*pm, wrote:

On Aug 4, 11:44*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but
having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived
the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of
otherwise useful resources.

Unless the vehicles are DESTROYED, there is nothing the government can
do to prevent less scrupulous dealers and other shady profiteers from
double-dipping by collecting the CARS rebate, then turning around and
selling the trade-in clunker for Kelly Blue Book price. Heck from some
accounts, vehicles from the CARS program are showing up on auction
lots, running and driving under their own power already. Anything but
the total destruction of the tradeins leaves that loophole.

"Heck from some accounts, vehicles from the CARS program are
showing up on auction lots, running and driving under their own power
already"

Cite please.

"Unless the vehicles are DESTROYED..."

The program requires that the engine be destroyed and the vehicle
labled attesting that fact. If the dealers are getting around that
requirement, then what will stop them from getting around the
requirement that the entire vehicle be destroyed?

But really, please provide a cite for the "some accounts" you
mentioned.

Thus far I have seen nothing that says the entire vehicle must be
destroyed. Only the engine has been mentioned. I have been wondering
what would keep someone from buying the "hulk" after engine
destruction and putting a new motor in it.

Harry K