Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Electric motor, again, help

Pull the end caps. If it is ball bearing, the bearings will need to be
replaced. If sleeve bearings, a bit of cleaning and oil should get
things spinning. Clean out any residual dried out muck, check to see
that the centrifugal switch is working freely and the contacts are clean.

Worth fixing? If it just got wet it's worth a try. If the inside is
caked with mud from a standard muddy river, it's still worth a try but
odds are not with you.

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Okay, I finally took the electric motor (3/4 hp, capacitor start) off
the cement mixer. This is the motor that got flooded under water for
about a day or two (about 4 months ago).

Shaft will not turn. What's my next step? Tap on it with a soft
mallet? Try to take the end caps off? Move the shaft axially?

If you've done this, please advise. If you think it's a lost cause,
tell me.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary