Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Avoiding washer/dryer down stairs

wrote:
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

Get a front-loading, combo washer-dryer such as the LG WM3431HS. It
should fit fine as it's designed to fit into a standard 24" width space.
It doesn't need 220V, and it doesn't need a dryer vent. I expect that
drying is pretty slow at 115V, and slightly more costly in terms of
energy usage versus 220V, but that's not a big deal. The plumbing is all
there for the dishwasher already so it shouldn't be a problem (you'll
need a cold water line to the washer as the dishwasher has only a hot
water line, but it should be available from the sink).

"http://www.lgwasherdryer.com/combos/wm3431hs.htm"

Pretty expensive, but cheaper than a chair lift.

And no, I wouldn't try washing clothes in your dishwasher, but if you
bought plastic dishes you might be able to wash them in the clothes
washer, but don't let them go in the spin cycle.