Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Avoiding washer/dryer down stairs

Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 04 Aug 2009 05:12:40p, told us...

Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

Ideally, instead of getting rid of the dishwasher, if you have a spare
closet or other space (maybe in a bathroom) where a compact stackable
washer/dryer would fit, it might be worth the expense of having both the
electric and plumbing run to that location.

As to the diswasher location, the existing plumbing is not ideally suited
for a clothes washer and the electric power would be inadequate for a
dryer. Obviously, if that's you're only location, both the plumbing and
electric could be upgraded.

I know I would miss my dishwasher, even if I lived alone.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue green meat, that’s bad for

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 04 Aug 2009 09:22:12p, Lisa BB. told us...

wrote in news:22864-4A78CE78-3766@storefull-
3112.bay.webtv.net:

Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

I was researching clothes washers/dryers a while back. I found one that
washes and also dries the clothes. I never got any further than doing

the
research, tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eclz5cKdF5s

All-in-one washer/dryer units have been around for years. Performance
varies, but the biggest downside is that you have to wait for an entire
wash cycle and entire dry cycle to complete before beginning another load.
This may not be an issue if you have very little to wash. IIRC, one of the
first units like this was made back in the 1950s by Bendix.

--
Wayne Boatwright
And I find chopsticks frankly distressing. Am I alone in thinking

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

The height of the unit might require the wall cabinets as well as the base
cabinets to be removed. Most likely there would be drainage issues as well.

The good news is that most of the smaller stackables have smaller needs in
terms of electricity and plumbing. I suspect you can find a qualified
handy-person to add the power and drain cheaper than you can buy a lift.
There are many options for venting the drain and the dryer that would not
require major modifications to your home.

You indicate a basement so pulling power and a drain line to some location
in your kitchen might be minimal problems. Do you have a 30x30 inch square
place along a wall in your kitchen where the unit could be placed? I image
the actual space needed is a little smaller.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:46*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 20:12:40 -0400, wrote:
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)?

Sure. *It will not be good when you want to sell the house. *There are
rollaround clothes washers (with butcher block tops) you can
temporarily hookup to the kitchen sink.

*Could a

plumber easily do that?

Available width may also be a problem, as dishwashers are narrower
than the washer/dryers I have seen Besides plumbing and electrical
issues, the other obvious problem is a stacking washer/dryer is going
to be a lot taller than a dishwasher, which fits under the
countertop. So, where is the extra height coming from and what will
it do to the look/functionality of the kitchen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

How about an old time wringer washer and a clothes line? No plumbing
or electrical work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

One friend of mine got foreclosed out of her house, and
moved to a trailer. She likes that a lot better. However,
it's a lot of work to be moving house. With the messed up
economy, you may well be better off where you are.

Anyhow, yes, it should be possible to put a stackable in
place of a dish washer. You'd have to cut the exterior wall
for the dryer vent. As someone else wrote, the dryer may
need more power. Or may not. Stackable apartment size dryer
will likely run fine off your dishwasher's existing power.

I had a 110 volt small clothes dryer, years ago. The timer
was bad. Finally, I ran a couple indoor clotheslines, and I
don't even own or use a clothes dryer. I indoor line dry my
clothes. Have done so, for the last 10 plus years. My
washing machine, was here when I moved in, in 1994.

To summarize, you have an excellent idea. Please get at
least two or three estimates.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a
kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and
dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes
can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older
and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement.
My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep
appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on
that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 4, 7:12*pm, wrote:
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? *Could a
plumber easily do that? *Even sillier question: * Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? *I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. *My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. *(I am
considering a chair *lift, but would rather not depend on that.) *Anyway
thanks so much.

Adding to the caveats, is the floor robust enough to handle the
weight?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 8:12*pm, wrote:
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? *Could a
plumber easily do that? *Even sillier question: * Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? *I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. *My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. *(I am
considering a chair *lift, but would rather not depend on that.) *Anyway
thanks so much.

I'd consider the chair lift. Medicare will not pay for installation
but may pay for the chair itself.
Or maybe hire a housekeeper a few hours a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 4, 8:12*pm, wrote:
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? *Could a
plumber easily do that? *Even sillier question: * Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? *I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. *My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. *(I am
considering a chair *lift, but would rather not depend on that.) *Anyway
thanks so much.

My neighbor had basically the same problem. She replaced her her
refrigerator with a stacked washer/dryer unit and put a small
refridgerator where the dishwasher was. Her son and daughter in-law
did most of the work.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I am checking further and someone suggested, like you, using a
closet-- over basement plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 4, 8:12 pm, wrote:
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.)
Anyway thanks so much.

My neighbor had basically the same problem. She replaced her her
refrigerator with a stacked washer/dryer unit and put a small
refridgerator where the dishwasher was. Her son and daughter in-law
did most of the work.

That's an interesting idea!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 12:43*pm, wrote:
Thanks. *I am checking further and someone suggested, like you, using a
closet-- over basement plumbing. *

Since you have a basement it may be a simple matter to place a
stackable in a bedroom closet. Maybe even advantageous if you can put
it in the bedroom closet of the room you sleep in. Then the dirty
clothes andthe clean clothes don't have to be carried around either.
I'm guessing that if stairs are out then hauling laundry baskets full
of clothes around is not a great idea either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It can be an existig closet. Or, if there is enough space in a bedroom or
other room, you could put it in a corner and just frame a new closet around
it if you wanted to hide it. Maybe put a louvered door on the closet.

I am having an apartment remodeled. The was a closet in an adjacent room
that backed up to the bathroom, so we knocked out the wall between the
bathrrom and the closet, and put the washer/dryer there so it would be in
the bathroom.

wrote:
Thanks. I am checking further and someone suggested, like you, using
a closet-- over basement plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
P C P C is offline

Thanks to everyone for their information, ideas, links, help,
encouragement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Thanks. I am checking further and someone suggested, like you, using a
closet-- over basement plumbing.

Consider also a 'movable' washing machine. Portables. They don't do larger
loads, but your needs are minimal. They roll on the floor on wheels and
hook to the sink with a pipe that drains to the sink. For drying, with your
smaller needs, an indoor wooden rack might work most of the time.