Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Avoiding washer/dryer down stairs

On 08/04/09 08:12 pm, wrote:

Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

I am assuming that you do not have a convenient garage in which the
washer and dryer can be located. We would put ours in the garage, which
is a mere two steps down from the kitchen.

I don't suppose there are super-compact washers and dryers intended for
motor-homes, are there? There are small washers and dryers on the market
in Europe, and probably also in Asia, but North American kitchens are
typically larger. My late parents had a very skinny Philips washer
(about half the width of our dishwasher) in the UK, but it could not
have a dryer mounted above it: it was a top-loader with a horizontal
drum whose axis was parallel to the wall. So even to use that would
necessitate cutting the counter-top at that point.

Perce