Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Avoiding washer/dryer down stairs

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 20:12:40 -0400, wrote:

Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)?

Sure. It will not be good when you want to sell the house. There are
rollaround clothes washers (with butcher block tops) you can
temporarily hookup to the kitchen sink.

Could a
plumber easily do that?

Sure. Plumbers at least $50 an hour. You should get 2 or 3 free
estimates then make a decision from there.

Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they?

I wash baseball caps in a dishwasher. Small items may be okay. Do not
use laundry detergent in a dishwasher, it will suds up and spill onto
the floor. Only use soap formulated for automatic dishwashers and
make sure it says so on the product container.

I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

If he says avoid steps then absolutely do so. You may be better off
at a laundry mat or paying someone to wash your clothes for you. If
there is no hope using the stairs after treatment, consider another
home without stairs.