Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Avoiding washer/dryer down stairs

wrote in message
Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

The height of the unit might require the wall cabinets as well as the base
cabinets to be removed. Most likely there would be drainage issues as well.

The good news is that most of the smaller stackables have smaller needs in
terms of electricity and plumbing. I suspect you can find a qualified
handy-person to add the power and drain cheaper than you can buy a lift.
There are many options for venting the drain and the dryer that would not
require major modifications to your home.

You indicate a basement so pulling power and a drain line to some location
in your kitchen might be minimal problems. Do you have a 30x30 inch square
place along a wall in your kitchen where the unit could be placed? I image
the actual space needed is a little smaller.

Colbyt