Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Mixing small amounts of 2-cycle fuel

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Using food containers for gasoline is risky. No matter how
close you watch, some ignorant person will think it's food.
I'd prefer something like a used paint thinner can. Painted
red, of course.

My paint thinner comes in a plastic gallon jug like antifreeze. For
that much gas, I'd rather use an approved container. A paint-thinner
can could get knocked over, and the cardboard cap seals I've seen aren't
reliable. I don't know how well that kind of plastic would stand up to
gasoline. I'd hate one day to mix gasoline with paint by mistake.

To transfer gas from an approved can to a lawn mower, the size and
opacity of a paint-thinner can could lead to spills.

If I used a soda bottle for a visible fuel reserve for a 4-cycle mower,
I'd remove the label and write all over the bottle with magic marker.
I'd pour the gas back into the approved can when I finished mowing.