Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Avoiding washer/dryer down stairs

On Tue 04 Aug 2009 05:12:40p, told us...

Serious questions: Can you take out a dishwasher from a kitchen and
replace with a small (stackable?) clothes washer (and dryer)? Could a
plumber easily do that? Even sillier question: Clothes can't be
effectively washed in a dishwasher, can they? I am older and want to
stay in my home, but the washer/dryer is in the basement. My doctor
said to avoid steps. Helpful answer would be deep appreciated. (I am
considering a chair lift, but would rather not depend on that.) Anyway
thanks so much.

Ideally, instead of getting rid of the dishwasher, if you have a spare
closet or other space (maybe in a bathroom) where a compact stackable
washer/dryer would fit, it might be worth the expense of having both the
electric and plumbing run to that location.

As to the diswasher location, the existing plumbing is not ideally suited
for a clothes washer and the electric power would be inadequate for a
dryer. Obviously, if that's you're only location, both the plumbing and
electric could be upgraded.

I know I would miss my dishwasher, even if I lived alone.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue green meat, that’s bad for