Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Mixing small amounts of 2-cycle fuel

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 19:48:28 -0400, E Z Peaces
wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:
E Z Peaces wrote:

96 to a cup measure? I went to milliliters to avoid such mixups. I
mix up in a small soda bottle because it's foolproof to get the oil
fully mixed, it's dandy to pour from, and I can save anything that
won't fit in the tank.

I tried it this weekend. 500ml water bottle full of StaBil'ized
gasoline, plus 10ml of Castrol 2-cycle oil measured with an old syringe.
It was just enough to fill the tank of my Echo weedcutter. (I didn't
know it had such a large tank.) I could probably mix the fuel directly
in the tank now that I know that, but it's a lot easier to pour from a
small bottle than from a 6 gallon gas can.

I don't know how long the syringe is gonna last. The oil may dissolve
or swell the rubber plunger and ruin it.

Bob

On the farm, where I did a lot of sawing and string trimming, I'd mix a
liter at a time. I used a piston syringe with a long tube, intended to
inject medicine down the throat of a lamb. As I recall, the o ring went
bad in a year or so.

The tube would reach to the bottom of an oil bottle. I used it with a
turkey baster, which lasted several years. Eventually the bulb cracked,
not from oil but from air. I replaced the baster.

With age, the tube shrank, which meant it took longer to draw the
required amount of oil, especially in cold weather. I should have
replaced the tube with clear 1/4" tubing just long enough to reach the
bottom of a bottle.

Now that I use a smaller soda bottle, I use a cheap plunger syringe.
Some cheap syringes may be impervious to oil. At a store the other day
I saw cheap bulb syringes intended to measure a dose of medicine.

Walmart sells a large syringe made specifically for mixing oil with
gas. I think it's less than $5.