Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Mixing small amounts of 2-cycle fuel

zxcvbob wrote:

I could probably mix the fuel directly
in the tank now that I know that, but it's a lot easier to pour from a
small bottle than from a 6 gallon gas can.

You've got me thinking about using a soda bottle to transfer gas from an
approved can to my 4-cycle push mower. If I run out 200 yards from the
garage, that's half a mile of walking to fetch and return the gas can,
and I'm likely to spill some when I fill the tank.

Topping off before going out could reduce such occurrences, but topping
off from an approved can invites spilling. Besides, if I have to tip
the mower on the side, less gas in the tank means less chance of leaking
from the cap or through the carburetor. In storage, less gas in the
tank means less to lose by seepage, possibly into the crankcase. In
long-term storage, an empty tank and carburetor are probably better than
Stabil.

If I had to fetch a liter of gas for my mower, using a soda bottle could
mean no spilling, from the can to the bottle or from the bottle to the
mower. It could cut my walking in half because I could use a cord to
hang the empty bottle from the handle.

If I started out with a full soda bottle (or two) hanging from the
crossbar on the handle, I would never have to top off the tank because
I'd have a visible reserve. No more hassle if I have to tip the mower
on its side. If I didn't want the bottle hanging as I mowed, I untie it
at the work site. This could even make it practical to run the mower
dry before putting it away. Unused gas could be poured back into the
approved container.