Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Another Ceiling Fan Question

On Aug 4, 3:27*am, Kate wrote:
A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan,
with a remote control. *With all of the wires, plus the remote control
that should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. *The remote
control is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

*From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually
due to the remote control.

I am considering returning the remote control, and just using the light
switch for the light, and a chain to turn the fan on.

My current light switch is on a dimmer. *Can I still dim the light on
the ceiling fan by turning on the light switch? *My gut feeling tells me
no, but I hope I am wrong.

If this does not work, is there anyway I can get the light to dim?

Many thanks.

Kate

My current light switch is on a dimmer.

It's not entirely clear if you are replacing an existing fan or just a
simple light fixture. (I'm guessing it's just a light)

The reason I say this is that if you have a dimmer for the light and a
separate switch for the fan, then, yes, you can use the dimmer for the
lights.

If you just have the dimmer then even if the dimmer will work with the
fan motor, you'll be stuck with a device that will have low light at
slow fan speeds and bright light at high fan speeds. In other words,
you won't have independent control of either device, which I'm
guessing is going to be pretty inconvenient.

P.S. Are you ready to add another device that is going to cause you to
say "Where's that d*mn remote?" g