Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Ceiling Fan Question

A friend tried to help me install a Harbor Breeze 42inch ceiling fan, with
a remote control. With all of the wires, plus the remote control that
should be stuffed inside the casing, it is impossible. The remote control
is the one that goes with this brand of fan.

Has anyone else had this problem?

From what I am reading, if a ceiling fan has a problem, it is usually due
to the remote control.

I am considering returning the remote control, and just using the light
switch for the light, and a chain to turn the fan on.

My current light switch is on a dimmer. Can I still dim the light on the
ceiling fan by turning on the light switch? My gut feeling tells me no,
but I hope I am wrong.

If this does not work, is there anyway I can get the light to dim?

*As RBM said it is a pain, but doable to get those receiver wires into the
box. Tuck as much as you can into the ceiling box. Use the tiny wire nuts
that come with the remote. Sometimes I have to curl the wires around the
fan bracket and let the canopy cover them up.

If you use the fan with the dimmer the dimmer will control the fan speed as
well unless you are able to wire the motor directly to a hot leg in the box
or a separate switch.

BTW are you hanging this fan on a fan rated box or are you using the
existing electrical box in the ceiling?