Charlie Self

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

Andy Dingley writes:

Even woodworking isn't paying. All I can get is minimum-wage labouring
work. I can't even get a decent joinery job, because I'm not
officially trained as a toobefour chopsaw merchant. Then I come home
to my own workshop and agonise over the accuracy of my 17th century
sandarac varnish formulation, or the exact proportions of a Greene &
Greene bridle joint. The only option seems to be selling my own work,
but that's fighting against Ikea's pricing and I really _don't_ want
to run a business (BTDT, hated it).

Well, then...I'm working on a couple books, but, like you, I had no intention
of going back in business, at least full-time, again, until Ms MBA changed my
mind abruptly (after helping force me to shear off the old ties a few months
earlier).

So, what the hell. This WV/retail writer (that's a joke, but I didn't know it
until too late) adventure cost me enough so retirement is out of the question
for now, but at least I've still got a marketable skill, though it's difficult
to implement some parts of it in a garage workshop with a single 115 volt
circuit.

Come spring, go house, get my tail back to VA and a full-sized shop and really
wind things up. Unless someone wants to buy a small (1550 square feet) house on
a tiny lot in a dying town right NOW!

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
things." Sir Winston Churchill