Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Poly on copper

On Aug 2, 4:39*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
* do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

I used to refinish alot of brass hardware and found Poly to yellow
quickly when outside, maybe inside also but I forgot and just stayed
with Laquer. Laquer is the way its been done for hundreds of years and
still may be the best but if pipe is below 70f or humid it may go real
bad and look milky white. Try an area with spray laquer, Plastics-Poly
will be an experiment for you and may go yellow in a year. Im
experimenting with turning copper green with acids, making it look 100
yrs old on exterior copper.