Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Poly on copper

Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading? How
about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the heat of
the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

This is purely for cosmetic reasons? I suppose an automotive wax might help
keep them from oxidizing. Not sure how well a poly would adhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

We didn't have poly, but in the Marine Barracks we used lacquer to
'cheat' on keeping copper pipes bright.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just guessing, but I wouldn't think the HW pipes would get hot enough
that pretty much any kind of clear coat would not work. Just be sure to
clean them good with something like rubbimg alcohol. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

We didn't have poly, but in the Marine Barracks we used lacquer to
'cheat' on keeping copper pipes bright.

Jim

We used to make brass weights for triple beam balances. We sprayed 'em
with polyurethane to keep them shiny. Brass is an alloy of copper and
metal du jour, so it ought to work on pure copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

Silverware polish works great on the pipes, then a
clear coat finish meant for metal. An automobile
paint supplier should have a suitable product.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 5:39*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
* do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

I had a friend who used to do a lot of copper art work and he always
used lacquer on things he didnt want to age. Not sure how this would
work on hot water pipe though.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

Where accessible, I've covered mine with the insulating foam slit
cylindrical wrap. Figure it helps retain hot water and the cold pipes
from dripping condensate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 20:22:50 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

Where accessible, I've covered mine with the insulating foam slit
cylindrical wrap. Figure it helps retain hot water and the cold pipes
from dripping condensate.

While I can appreciate the beauty of bright copper--- some sort of
covering stands a better chance of lasting, and has the abovementioned
added benefits.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 4:39*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
* do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

I used to refinish alot of brass hardware and found Poly to yellow
quickly when outside, maybe inside also but I forgot and just stayed
with Laquer. Laquer is the way its been done for hundreds of years and
still may be the best but if pipe is below 70f or humid it may go real
bad and look milky white. Try an area with spray laquer, Plastics-Poly
will be an experiment for you and may go yellow in a year. Im
experimenting with turning copper green with acids, making it look 100
yrs old on exterior copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:39:33 -0400, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

You can always polish copper later with a salt/vinegar solution when
it becomes dull, if you have not applied a clear coat finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling
joists. I do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading?
How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the
heat of the hot pipes?

There isn't much that compares with the joy one can receive from admiring
the shiny copper pipes between the joists in one's basement but if you spray
them you will deprive yourself of the even greater joy of polishing them
occasionally.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I
do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading? How
about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the heat of
the hot pipes?

You might first try some kind of cheap spray on laccure (sp?) stuff. You
can remove it with the thinner if it doesn't work out.

Most folks just paint it to match whatever else is nearby.