Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

Default Tile backsplash

Mike rock wrote:
On Aug 2, 1:05 am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Want to put a row of 4x4 ceramic tiles where there used to be
Formica. When the Formica was removed it took the top layer of the
sheetrock with it, leaving a rough gray-brown paper surface. Should
that be primed before setting the new tiles, or will the rough and
somewhat porous surface make for better adhesion?

Also, since the tiles have small projections that keep them from
gutting tightly together at the "front," do I still need to use
spacers? It seems to me that there will be plenty of space to fill
with grout.

Perce

You should be fine with the surface. Just use pre-mixed mastic and a
small v-trowel ( I believe I used 3/16" or smaller last time), and
spread the mastic horizontally to prevent the tile from sliding down.

I also put up 4X4 tiles with jagged edges and I could not use spacers.
You pretty much have to do it by eye. I would lay some test tiles dry
and see what grout space looks best, then go from there. You don't
want too much space. Here are some pics of my backsplash. Grout space
is about 1/4".

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink

Where did you get those tiles, Mike? They have the look I want for the same
application.

Keith