Mark Jerde

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

Andy Dingley wrote:

I'm an unemployed UK IT guy. _My_ job didn't go to India, but I used
to write software that was used by people in UK call centres. As their
jobs went to India (and they surely are going), there was no longer a
need for people like me in the UK.

Once upon a time I was a super-expert (IMHO g) on xBASE, especially on
combination DOS / UNIX development and implementation. I was the lead on
one project that literally took xBASE to its design limits in the call
stack. I architected and implemented a data-dictionary based directory
crawler that would update database versions overnight. (Extremely necessary
when developing systems whilst data entry people were typing in data. g)

Then Microsoft released MS Access 1.0 for $99.00. Literally overnight, I
saw all my hard-won
SET EXCLUSIVE ON
skills had gone the way of the horse and buggy.

Adapt or die.

Currently, I'm closer to dying than adapting, but I'm trying... g

-- Mark