Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making a countertop -- questions re; wood

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:26:11 -0400, "BetaB4"
wrote:

I have an apartment that I will be renting out that is being remodeled. The
kitchen will have a pre-made Lowes post-formed Formica countertop.

However, there is a half-wall divider between the living room and kitchen
and I want put a small countertop on top of the divider. The countertop
will be about 2 feet by 4 feet, and it will have a round end. So, it needs
to be custom made. This countertop will sit on top of the divider wall and
it will overhang past the wall about 12 to 16 inches, and I will put a
couple of bar stools next to it.

Since it will be an overhang that people may lean on, I want to be sure it
is fairly strong.

Typically, I think the way people make laminate countertops is to put two
sheets of 3/4 inch partical board together and install the laminate on top
of that and on the sides. I was thinking of maybe using two pieces of 3/4
inch plywood instead for greater strength. However, I have heard that new
plywood can sometimes "cup" or curve a little as it dries out, so I am
wondering if that may be a problem. Particle board doesn't do this as far
as I know.

So, any thoughts on whether it's okay to use plywood for more strength or
would I be better off using particle board?

Particle board is weaker than ply. Get some 3/4" furniture-grade ply,
expensive, but it will have less frustrating voids to tend with, the
surface is very smooth and flat (ideal for contact cement). You can
apply edge banding or hardwood strips to cover the ply edges. The
plys that are the most stable and strongest are those with a lot of
layers. You could use MDF but it will deflect under a load. Good
luck with your project.