Posted to demon.tech.pc,sci.electronics.repair
jasee jasee is offline

Default solder pot solder

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 17:27:55 +0100, "jasee" wrote:

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message , jasee
writes
I need a small amount (about a cubic inch, I would guess) of this for a
solder pot. Does anyone know where I would get this (in the uk, I
suppose)

It doesn't matter to me whether it's lead based or not as it's only
being
used for tinning wires.

Apparently normal fluxed solder isn't suitable.

Any plumbers merchant. Plumbers use a separate acidic(?) flux -
something
to do with the need to ensure drinking water pipes are not contaminated.

If this really suitable it would be good, basically I'm tinning lintz
wire.

Maybe litz (litzendraht in German means bundled) wire. This manufacturer
recommends 60/40 tin/lead:

http://www.litz-wire.com/pdf%20files...ire_231507.pdf

It _is_ bundled strands of insulated wire, difficult to solder together.
60/40 tin lead is traditional solder which solders much better than the
awful lead free stuff. Interesting link (thanks) though my solder pot's max
temperature is much lower.