Charlie Self

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

stevec writes:

'm a long time reader, occasional contributor to the WREC. I submit that you
are wrong and I am right about the minimum wage jobs going to China. I am
going back to China this Sunday for the second time in a month. Without
going
into great detail, I visit production factories in China that used to be in
the
USA. 90% of the people who work there are doing the manual labor that
Americans used to do.

But those are not minimum wage jobs in the U.S. My guess is they're also not
minimum wage jobs in China, but maximum wage is so much lower that it's like
paying half the minimum here.

I really don't see how you can equate problems with minimum wage with people
who make two and three times minimum wage.

What really scares
me is the new trend to move high-end jobs, like engineering and software to
China and now India.

It isn't the loss of the high end hotshots that is the problem. It's the guys
and gals who build the machinery, in factories owned by Americans, kept on
American soil that we're losing, and they're the important ones. We're in deep
doodoo as our dearly beloved prez says if we are attacked by anyone who meets
with China's approval these days. If we can't manufacture tanks, guns, bombs
and bullets here, we're screwed, regardless of what the top echelon thinks. And
we're approaching that stage at a rapid pace. It was our manufacturing
capacity, the awakening of a sleeping giant, that won World War II. If we
couldn't have supplied our soliders and most of those of the rest of what came
to be known as the free world, we lost. We did it. Or, rather, our parents and
grandparents did it. I don't think we can.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
things." Sir Winston Churchill