Grandpa

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:36:26 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Not many, costs too much to produce them here, plus, if you make a tool
to last a long time then you can't sell many of them. Have you noted
that cars last until you make your last payment, then fall to pieces?
We are digging ourselves into a huge hole.

Ah, my Japanese car is over 20 years old. My brother always buys
American cars, but buys a new one every three years because they keep
falling apart. He makes more money than I do.

- I've a 2002 Suburban I bought as a retirement gift to myself 16 months
ago and love it, 11k miles so far. The jury is out on how long it'll
last when we start travelling the US though.
- I've a 96 Saturn SL2, can't complain about it either. 35mpg road, 29
in town & has 65k miles. Great car so far - wife loves it.
- I've a 92 Ford 4x4 Supercab (300cid & 5spd OD trans), engine is pretty
good but the rest of it is ****. WW switch is AFU and certainly doesn't
need a dozen variable speeds. Ign switch won't center. Mirrors both
broke the housings instead of laying into the side of the door when I
needed them to. Been thru 1 clutch and 2 throwout bearings, and 1
transmission ($1500) and I did the R&R. Been thru 3 air conditioning
compressors so far. It eats front pads annually. Dash broke from lower
rt corner and rattles & shakes from hitting a speed bump, a freaking
normal speed bump! I haul no heavy loads, rarely tow except our 15'
camping trailer 2-3 times a summer and do not overload or abuse - ever.
Has 92k miles & was bought new.
- last one is an 89 Daihatsu, uglier than homemade sin, like an egg on 4
wheels, too ugly for anyone to steal but runs and runs and runs with
never a problem. 40 mpg in town and dependable. Has 92k miles & bought
w/ 25k miles. Best damned vehicle I ever owned.