Allen

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

Brian Elfert wrote in message m...
Is any woodworking maachinery for the hobbyist still made in the USA?

I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw. Delta makes them in the USA, but the
current models don't have a great reputation. Powermatic is making a real
nice 14" bandsaw, but in Taiwan. I would rather see jobs stay in the USA
and pay a bit more for my tools.

Many other types of stationary tools simply aren't made in the USA unless
you want to buy high end models for thousands of dollars.

I was just at Home Depot a few days ago buying tools in the hand tool
promotion. I only bought stuff made in the USA. I may have paid a bit
more, but someone might have a job for another day now. I was going to
buying a socket set, but Husky tools are all made in Taiwan now so those
stayed on the shelf.

Brian Elfert

This is a toughie.

First off, I don't think anyone should buy junk, no matter where it is
made.

However, one could push the concept further and insist on buying only
items made in Wisconsin, or whatever it is you reside. After all, why
put someone out of work in Wisconsin by buying something made in
California?

Turn this around and look at it from the viewpoint of someone in
Poorcounrty, Aftrica. He can make a quality product and sell if for
less, so we tell him that he ain't an Americian, so he can starve no
matter how good his stuff is?

Or, maybe good ol' Uncle Sam should put a tarrif on imported tools, no
matter how good or bad, so we can all pay more and keep a few more
overpriced workers employed.

(Remove tung from cheek.)

I think everyone should have a fair change to make a living by selling
a good product at a fair price, no matter who he is or where he is.
All else being equal, I'd rather buy from my neighbor than someone
half way around the world - Its easier to get my hands around his
throat if something goes wrong.

I also think that the typical US consumer doesn't know a quality
product when he sees it, so he has only two things left to make a
buying decision on - price and features. Since most of us don't have
the money for all the bells and whistle, we go with the lowest price -
usually meaning cheap and foreign. I think we need to consider
ourselves lucky that there are as many good products at reasonable
prices as there are. A lot of that is due to the ability of some poor
slob living in a hut to do quality work at a horribly low wage.
There's more to the world than the US of A - for better or for worse.

Allen