Rich Andrews

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

Dr. Know wrote in
:

On 10 Nov 2003 14:43:49 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Is any woodworking maachinery for the hobbyist still made in the USA?

snip

Not much...
I was shocked to find my Dewalt cordless screwdriver (Christmas
present) was made in China. And my $500 jointer, etc., etc.

You are one in a million. If more people spoke with their
pocketbooks, perhaps we wouldn't have unemployment rates that we do.

For many years I refused to buy Chinese crap, but the stores kept
filling up with more and more of it - it's hard to stem the tide of
consumers who don't give a crap - until THEIR jobs disappear. Most
are oblivious to this trend occurring. They select products on price
and packaging alone - and a year later, when it is lining the local
landfill, line up at the local Target to buy more...

There are still the industrial MFGs, but I haven't actually checked
lately that a Wilton DP or other such brands are still made in the
USA. Most heavy iron work seems to be coming from Eastern Europe and
China these days. It's a trend that is overwhelming. First we built
Japan into a world empire, then Taiwan, South Korea, and now China.
And my personal standard of living is nowhere close to what my dad
maintained. Our boom industries are insurance fraud (chiropractors
and lawyers) and prisons.

JMHO,
Greg

The last I checked, Stanley brand "slip joint pliers" were made offshore.
The Channellock brand was still made here in the States.