Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tankless water heater

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:17:02 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

I was thinking of replacing my NG water heater with one of the new
tankless ones until I saw the price, about 2K bucks installed. I took
a look at my gas bill for the summer months and figure my current
water heater is costing me about $220 a year to operated and from the
manufacturere info I could save 10 to 20 per cent if I got with the
tankless unit or 22 to 44 dollars a year. Am I missing something here?
This doesnt seem worthwhile at all. The thing would probably need
replacing before I ever reached a break even point.

Jimmie

Please read the Consumer Reports article on tankless heaters. They
are expensive to buy and maintain. I decide not to get one because
they require periodic descaling, don't work at all during power
outages, and they have the "cold-water sandwich" issue. Most
Americans have tank water heaters. The tankless does save some
energy, but IMO not enough.