Posted to alt.home.repair
JC[_4_] JC[_4_] is offline

Default Tankless water heater

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
JIMMIE wrote:

I was thinking of replacing my NG water heater with one of the new
tankless ones until I saw the price, about 2K bucks installed. I
took
a look at my gas bill for the summer months and figure my current
water heater is costing me about $220 a year to operated and from
the
manufacturere info I could save 10 to 20 per cent if I got with the
tankless unit or 22 to 44 dollars a year. Am I missing something
here?
This doesnt seem worthwhile at all. The thing would probably need
replacing before I ever reached a break even point.

No, you aren't On top of the numbers you posted, you also have to
take into
account that tankless heaters require recurring maintenance and will
liely
require a larger electrical service or gas supply.

That's why 99% of the residential hot water systems in this country
are storage
tank.

There are situations where tankless heaters make sense, but overall
economics
rarely favor tankless.

I mis-posted this on the computer question thread. They probably think
I'm "tanked".

An architect/homebuilder by the name of Tom Tynon writes a column in
the Houston Chronicle. You could probably find the one of this past
week in which he advocates a "booster" tank to go along with a
tanked
(in my college days that meant something else) water heater. The
picture showed what looked like a small tankless unit. Said it
provided instant, constant hot water as it somehow signaled the tank
to heat up more water. ??????