GTO69RA4

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

Not much these days. Cheaper labor overseas and rising costs across the board
in the USA take care of that. Every country goes through this to a certain
extent. From agricultural, to industrial, and I suppose now service or
information. Same thing's happening to Japan and even Taiwan. If it helps any,
US companies are probably making more money, it's just going to the execs and
owners.

I like to buy US when I can, but it's not a huge deal for me as long as it's a
good product. I've had Chinese and Taiwanese no-name tools that were beyond
useless, and then a lot of my nice Porter-Cable and Milwaukee stuff is made in
the same places. My DeWalt cordless drills are USA with Japanese batteries.

Buy used if you want really nice stuff. Old Delta, P'matic, and General iron is
a good value.

GTO(John)

Is any woodworking maachinery for the hobbyist still made in the USA?

I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw. Delta makes them in the USA, but the
current models don't have a great reputation. Powermatic is making a real
nice 14" bandsaw, but in Taiwan. I would rather see jobs stay in the USA
and pay a bit more for my tools.

Many other types of stationary tools simply aren't made in the USA unless
you want to buy high end models for thousands of dollars.

I was just at Home Depot a few days ago buying tools in the hand tool
promotion. I only bought stuff made in the USA. I may have paid a bit
more, but someone might have a job for another day now. I was going to
buying a socket set, but Husky tools are all made in Taiwan now so those
stayed on the shelf.

Brian Elfert