Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default what to do with cracked grout on ceiling in shower

dadiOH wrote:
rank beginner wrote:
Hello,

I had a new shower with tiled walls and ceiling put in about 5 years
ago. This year the grout in one specific row of tiles on the ceiling
is really starting to crack. This started last year as a hairline
crack in the grout along the entire length of the row of tiles. Now
the crack has widened and I must do something to repair it ASAP. The
thing is, I'm not sure what it is that should be done.

Photos he

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...alltile_01.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...alltile_02.jpg

Should I regrout the whole cracked area? If so, should all the old
grout be scraped out first? What would be the best way to do that
(if indeed that is what I should do)? Tools?

Also, is it a problem if water has seeped into the crack a bit?
(There were drips from the ceiling tile where the crack is today).
My hope is that no permanent moisture has entered the ceiling.

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.

The grout is cracked because the ceiling is moving; could be moving
laterally, could be moving down.

If you had drips from the ceiling tile, moisture *has* entered the
ceiling...those drips didn't get there from the shower (unless you
are an extremely frenetic showerer). It is most likely the water
that is causing the ceiling to move.

The first thing to do is locate the source of the water. If an attic
is above the shower, check the roof; if not or if you have plumbing
above the shower, check it too.

Next, fix the source of the leak.

Next, you need to make the ceiling that is under the tile sound once
again. I assume it is drywall? Drywall - even "moisture resistant"
drywall - and water do not play nice together. If it were me, I'd
remove all ceiling tile and replace the drywall. Again, if it were
me, I'd not replace tile on the ceiling...the tile isn't all that
heavy but it is pulling the drywall downward against the screw/nail
heads. Drywall isn't all that strong to begin with and - especially
with a bit of moisture - the weight of the tile would tend to pull
the fastener head further into the drywall causing the ceiling to sag
slightly, sag cracking grout.

Yes, for a gap that big something is moving, either sideways to open the
gap -- not likely, or vertically. Lay a straightedge on the ceiling and you
will probably see that the ceiling is sagging -- the lowest point at the
crack. Do you know what material was used for the ceiling, as mentioned
above drywall or even any other gypsum product is bad news anywhere in a
shower. I would wager that there is also a seam in the backing material very
close and parallel to the crack. You may have to drop the ceiling and re-do
it with cement board and some new tiles.