Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default what to do with cracked grout on ceiling in shower

rank beginner wrote:
Hello,

I had a new shower with tiled walls and ceiling put in about 5 years
ago. This year the grout in one specific row of tiles on the ceiling
is really starting to crack. This started last year as a hairline
crack in the grout along the entire length of the row of tiles. Now
the crack has widened and I must do something to repair it ASAP. The
thing is, I'm not sure what it is that should be done.

Photos he

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...alltile_01.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...alltile_02.jpg

Should I regrout the whole cracked area? If so, should all the old
grout be scraped out first? What would be the best way to do that (if
indeed that is what I should do)? Tools?

Also, is it a problem if water has seeped into the crack a bit? (There
were drips from the ceiling tile where the crack is today). My hope is
that no permanent moisture has entered the ceiling.

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.

The grout is cracked because the ceiling is moving; could be moving
laterally, could be moving down.

If you had drips from the ceiling tile, moisture *has* entered the
ceiling...those drips didn't get there from the shower (unless you are an
extremely frenetic showerer). It is most likely the water that is causing
the ceiling to move.

The first thing to do is locate the source of the water. If an attic is
above the shower, check the roof; if not or if you have plumbing above the
shower, check it too.

Next, fix the source of the leak.

Next, you need to make the ceiling that is under the tile sound once again.
I assume it is drywall? Drywall - even "moisture resistant" drywall - and
water do not play nice together. If it were me, I'd remove all ceiling tile
and replace the drywall. Again, if it were me, I'd not replace tile on the
ceiling...the tile isn't all that heavy but it is pulling the drywall
downward against the screw/nail heads. Drywall isn't all that strong to
begin with and - especially with a bit of moisture - the weight of the tile
would tend to pull the fastener head further into the drywall causing the
ceiling to sag slightly, sag cracking grout.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...