Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Samuel[_2_] Rick Samuel[_2_] is offline

Default House overheating....suggestions

"Ken" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

In addition to the good suggestions that you've already received, I'd
like to add this: given the age of the home, it *may* be due for a new
roof some time soon. Using white shingles, instead of dark gray or black,
can lower attic temperatures by as much as 30 degrees F.

Regarding your statement about lowering the attic temperature by 30
degrees:

I am about to re-roof my home. Do you have a source for your comment? I
would like to consider lighter colored shingles if it is true.

Go with a metal roof, light color. Then you can add a water harvesting
system.