Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House overheating....suggestions

I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

* Install some method for the heat in the attic to escape: ridge vents
and/or wind turbines.
* Insulate the attic to R19 or better
* Install a radiant barrier along with the first suggestion
* Install a room A/C
* Install central A/C

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 8:02*am, Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. *It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. *I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. *I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? *How
best to fix?

how about posting a couple photos of the house

where is the house located? sun exposure?
do oyu get any night time cooling? humid climate?

one story? two story? one and a half story?
attic over entire house? attic all one volume or broken up?
type of exterior finish? stucco? wood siding?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

In addition to the good suggestions that you've already received, I'd like to
add this: given the age of the home, it *may* be due for a new roof some time
soon. Using white shingles, instead of dark gray or black, can lower attic
temperatures by as much as 30 degrees F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rookie-at-home" wrote in message
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

Install more insulation in attic if less than a foot in depth...Install
ridge vent and/or gable vents..Install attic whole house fan....Buy a window
AC unit or a whole house AC unit....Install ceiling fans and or buy a couple
of box fans...Pull shades on sunny side of house...As you can see there are
lots of things you can do....Depends on how much money you have or how much
of a DIY'er you are...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

In addition to the good suggestions that you've already received, I'd like to
add this: given the age of the home, it *may* be due for a new roof some time
soon. Using white shingles, instead of dark gray or black, can lower attic
temperatures by as much as 30 degrees F.

Regarding your statement about lowering the attic temperature by 30
degrees:

I am about to re-roof my home. Do you have a source for your comment?
I would like to consider lighter colored shingles if it is true.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

In addition to the good suggestions that you've already received, I'd
like to add this: given the age of the home, it *may* be due for a new
roof some time soon. Using white shingles, instead of dark gray or black,
can lower attic temperatures by as much as 30 degrees F.

I heard 10 degrees F but that was from a roofing salesman. He said the ridge
vent was the way to go (up to 50 degrees) but I've been up there pretty
regular and it's still hotter than Hades.

White shingles might be hard to find. So many people prefer dark and they
don't flatten out in the winter as good as dark ones do. I'd consider the
climate. Where I live, central tx, I doubt there would be a temperature
issue.

With Obama's climate guru saying to use white shingles, I'll bet the white
ones on hand are sold out.

OP: You might want to look into a whole house fan, depending where you live.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rookie-at-home" wrote in message
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

Keep the sun out. Close the curtain, or blinds on the sunny side of the
house. Long term, plant shade trees, but it will take 10 or more years to
reap the benefits, but they can be considerable. Close windows or door that
are letting in the hot air from sidewalks or driveways. Vent the attic.
When the outdoor temperature drops, use a fan to draw the cooler air in and
push the hotter air out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller | 2009-07-28 | 10:49:08 AM wrote:

In addition to the good suggestions that you've already received, I'd
like to add this: given the age of the home, it may be due for a new
roof some time soon. Using white shingles, instead of dark gray or
black, can lower attic temperatures by as much as 30 degrees F.

I just had my mother's house re-roofed in New Mexico. White roofs are
traditional there because of the heat.

White shingles are no longer available from any supplier I could find.
New Mexico was apparently one of the few places that bought white
shingles. Everywhere else, people complain that they turn gray with
dust and mildew.

As a side note, I had to use double-laminated ("architectural")
shingles instead of the usual interlocking-T version. The roofer said
the interlocking shingles have been discontinued because they routinely
outperform their warranty; 25-year shingles might last 40 years,
barring hail.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

Damn, that's almost un-American!! No, is

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C
and it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation)
but it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

In addition to the good suggestions that you've already received, I'd
like to
add this: given the age of the home, it *may* be due for a new roof
some time
soon. Using white shingles, instead of dark gray or black, can lower
attic
temperatures by as much as 30 degrees F.

Have you EVER seen a house with white shingles? Beige? Light Yellow? Pale
Blue?

If this is such a good idea, why hasn't someone done it?

The reason is the roof looks ghastly after but a short while from deposited
air pollution.

In Rome, where they have a lot of public sculptures, there are traveling
pressure-washer crews that do nothing but blast the soot (and pigeon ****)
off all the statutes. The Vatican has its own full-time crew for just that
purpose.

The only place where you'll see a light-colored roof is somewhere where you
CAN'T see it, like the flat roof of a commercial building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub | 2009-07-28 | 3:06:21 PM wrote:

Have you EVER seen a house with white shingles? Beige? Light Yellow?
Pale Blue?

If this is such a good idea, why hasn't someone done it?

The reason is the roof looks ghastly after but a short while from
deposited air pollution.

In Rome, where they have a lot of public sculptures, there are
traveling pressure-washer crews that do nothing but blast the soot
(and pigeon ****) off all the statutes. The Vatican has its own
full-time crew for just that purpose.

The only place where you'll see a light-colored roof is somewhere
where you CAN'T see it, like the flat roof of a commercial building.

Or in places like New Mexico where the extreme heat and arid conditions
work against the mildew that causes the discoloration. See my response
in this thread about not being able to find white shingles.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ken wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article

,
Rookie-at-home wrote:
[...]

Not off the top of my head, no -- but you can Google for it. I've certainly
*experienced* the difference, though...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just insulating the attic made a huge difference.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Rookie-at-home" wrote in message
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

Ah, right. The environment is a significant factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 11:25*am, Ken wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

* I would like to consider lighter colored shingles if it is true.- Hide quoted text -

You can test it yourself, get a cheap IR thermometer, I got mine at
Radioshack, flat Black surfaces can outside easily go to near 50f when
its near zero out, white will be at about zero, In summer it might be
a 40-60f difference from flat black to gloss white, it will likely
affect your heat bill also. Maybe you need some big window and an
attic fan, but if its hot out and your in sun sometimes an AC is the
only way out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 28 Jul 2009 03:15:13p, HeyBub told us...

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

We live in Mesa, AZ and have a white shingle roof. The home is 3 years old
and the roof still looks like new. Very few people here have dark roofs.

--
Wayne Boatwright
We should look for someone to eat and drink with before looking for

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
Rookie-at-home wrote:
[...]

Go with a metal roof, light color. Then you can add a water harvesting
system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/28/2009 12:25 PM (ET) Ken wrote the following:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,

http://eetd.lbl.gov/coolroof/asshingl.htm