Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stupendous Man Stupendous Man is offline

Default Custom water pump - impeller press fit suggestions

I make water pumps for Lotus cars.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...ictures014.jpg
The impeller we use (made the pattern, foundry does the casting) has a .500
in. hole and the shaft is .502. I never re-use an impeller, as we charge too
much to risk failure. I set them in with Locktite engineering adhesive,
takes heat to get them off.
Looking at your unit, I would heat the whole thing to 350 degrees and then
push the shaft out of the impeller and casing in one move, letting the case
be the stop for the impeller, and ruining the seal. It should all move with
less than 1.5 tons force.
Diameter is 2.25 in.
height .833
dish in back, .22
I can send you one if you think it will work, get dimensions of yours and
the ceramic seal assembly.
I don't really think adding vanes is going to fix your heating problem, more
likely a clogged radiator, silted block, or leaking head gasket is
responsible.
--
Stupendous Man,