Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default House overheating....suggestions

On Jul 28, 11:25*am, Ken wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. *It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. *I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. *I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? *How
best to fix?

In addition to the good suggestions that you've already received, I'd like to
add this: given the age of the home, it *may* be due for a new roof some time
soon. Using white shingles, instead of dark gray or black, can lower attic
temperatures by as much as 30 degrees F.

* * * * Regarding your statement about lowering the attic temperature by 30
degrees:

* * * * I am about to re-roof my home. *Do you have a source for your comment?
* I would like to consider lighter colored shingles if it is true.- Hide quoted text -

You can test it yourself, get a cheap IR thermometer, I got mine at
Radioshack, flat Black surfaces can outside easily go to near 50f when
its near zero out, white will be at about zero, In summer it might be
a 40-60f difference from flat black to gloss white, it will likely
affect your heat bill also. Maybe you need some big window and an
attic fan, but if its hot out and your in sun sometimes an AC is the
only way out.