Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default What would you do?

benick wrote:
So you consider "Target" a "local retailor" and a Walmart Supercenter
not...LOL...

How in the world did you get that idea? I said nothing of the sort only
that if one of the ilk closes so there's another just down the street in
larger locations--that's not so in smaller markets.

places to eat" because there were no Pizza Hut , KFC , Taco Bell or
Micky Dees..

No, there was essentially every McDoodle known to man; what people
complained about was lack of a place/places with amenities.

folks on the run don't have time to spend a hour or two eating at the
local diner or Chic Hole In The wall Restaurant downtown..

Yet these sameself time-stressed folks will drive 30-miles each way over
staying local? How's that time-efficient, pray tell???

they have to travel out of town to shop anyway...

Which is the other fallacy--they didn't _HAVE_ to travel out of town to
shop; at least until they ceased to support local merchants that had the
same merchandise anyway for which they paid the "privilege" of two or
more additional hours on the road, gas, parking, etc., etc., ...
Financially, it really makes no sense if one were to actually calculate
net, bottom-line cost.

for more than just saving mony..They save TIME..No need to run all over
creation to get all that is needed...

That, too, is generally BS ime -- it takes far longer to tramp all over
creation in one of these mega-malls than it does to go to two or three
specific places, get in and out and be gone. I can generally go to one
of the other stores in town, park, get what I want and be gone in the
time it would take to simply get checked out in the Walmart after
fighting the mobs and cart jungle in the parking lot plus the runaway
kids...

...You also completely ignored that the downtown stores
typically close at 5 and aren't open on the weekend especially SUNDAY
which is now about the biggest shopping day of the week...I suppose you
also long for the days when it was illegal for stores to be open on
Sunday ???

No, they closed early Wednesday afternoon (church night) and all women
were expected to "dress" (included the hat and gloves)...

Frankly, much would be far better off, undoubtedly, yes. There's little
_real_ advantage in hurry-scurry and most folks are rushing nowhere just
like they're continuously on the phone for nothing...

Just out of curiousity, what do _you_ consider "a very small town"???