Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.[_2_] Walter R.[_2_] is offline

Default Mixing small amounts of 2-cycle fuel

Gasoline degradation over time

The Chevron.com website has a on-line source that provides information for
your review. Specifically it says

22. How long can I store gasoline without it going bad?

Gasoline stored in a tightly closed container in a cool place will stay good
for at least one year. It is better if the container or fuel tank is almost
(95 percent) full. If the container or fuel tank will be in the direct sun
or will be heated above 30°C (80°F) much of the time, add an aftermarket
fuel stabilizer to the gasoline when you first buy it. Gasoline-oil blends
for two-stroke cycle engines stored under the proper conditions will keep as
well as gasoline itself.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...rgas/8_q-a/#22

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
All the gasoline here, regardless of grade, is E-10 gasahol. It doesn't
last as long in storage as 100% gasoline. So for 2-cycle fuel (which I
don't use a lot of) I've started using a shotglass when I mix it. The
shotglass is graduated at .5, 1.0, and 1.5 ounces. I mix 1.5 ounces of
good quality 2-cycle oil with .55 gallons of 89 octane gasoline for a 50:1
mix (it's just a little rich.) I don't add any Stabil, but when it's 2 or
3 months old I pour whatever is left in the 2-cycle gas can into my truck.
Then I mix a fresh batch next time I need some.

I got tired of mixing up a whole gallon at a time and having it go stale.
Then I used it anyway, and it would eventually gum up my carburetors.

I'm currently using Castrol (or maybe it's Penzoil) 100:1 rated TC oil in
a quart bottle. When that runs out, I may switch to QuickSilver PWC (from
Mercury Marine) synthetic oil -- the TC stuff, not TC-W3.

Now if I could just come up with a good method of remembering when I last
filled all my gas cans, so I know how old the gasoline is. (do you think
a blackboard in the garage would work?) I use Stabil in the 6-gallon cans
for the generator, and dump them in the truck and refill about twice a
year. It's the little cans that I can't keep track of.

BTW, I buy one 2-gallon can of 91+ octane Premium gasoline in the spring
for the first tank or two of gas in the mower and tiller (etc.) They seem
to start easier that way. When that can is empty, I switch to Regular for
the rest of the season. By then they are either running good, or they are
not going to run good 'til I get them tuned-up.

Bob