Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Mixing small amounts of 2-cycle fuel

wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 01:05:19 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

[snip]
I'm currently using Castrol (or maybe it's Penzoil) 100:1 rated TC oil
in a quart bottle. When that runs out, I may switch to QuickSilver PWC
(from Mercury Marine) synthetic oil -- the TC stuff, not TC-W3.

Too much oil in the mix is killing your engine. It causes excessive
carbon build up which will eventually break the rings and cause other
problems.

I'm mixing it 48:1.

Walmart sells what looks like a large plastic hypodermic syringe for
accurately mixing small quantities.

I've got some big syringes, but the shotglass is easier to keep track of :-)

Also note that "marine" two stroke oil is not interchangeable with the
stuff for air cooled engines, which run hotter. Different
characteristics for different operating temps.

Mercury Marine is just the company name. Their "Quicksilver PWC" oil is
designed for air-cooled engines (it even says not to use it if your
engine needs TCW3), and the synthetic is rated JASO "FD" and ISO
(Global) "GE".

I just wonder if I could use very high grade oil at 100:1 even tho' my
saws and weed eater manuals all say to mix it 50:1 (actually, they say
to use 32:1 unless I use Echo brand oil; I ignore that part and use good
oil.) I may one ounce to a half gallon and see how that works. (64:1)
These are expensive very-high-reving engines, especially the big
chainsaw, and I'd hate to burn one up.

Bob