Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Nylon Tear Repair ?

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Frank wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Frank wrote:

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Have a Nylon rain hood that goes over the top of my golf club bag
to prevent rain from hitting the clubs.
It has torn.

Is there a generally accepted really good product, perhaps, for
repairing a tear in Nylon like this ?
If so, brand please ?

Just curious, so will also ask now: are the two ends butted for
the repair, or overlapped ?

And, is tape on the underside usually needed, or required ?

Thanks,
Bob

I used Gorilla glue to repair a tear in a nylon hunting boot. Boot,
of course, has underlying structure and repair looks good after 3
years.
In your case, I would use a backing nylon fabric strip.

No glue is going to hold 2 cut ends of fabric.

Too bad Billy Mays passed on....You could have told that to him about
his "Mighty Mendit". G

http://www.asontvinfomercials.com/tv...htymendit.html

Jeff

Yeah. I used to laugh at these commercials when they he said it was
not a glue. What is a flexible bonding agent anyway, if not a glue?

It snot glue?

As I learned a while ago, the technical name for that "snot glue"
stretchy stuff that peels off most things pretty easily is "fugitive
glue."

The part of May's commercial I found most far out was that "microscopic
close up" showing the cleanly cut ends of individual threads of two
pieces of fabric being butted together and joined by Mighty Mendit.
Shoosh....

Later when I went down to check current price, I saw that too. Pure
baloney. I could see a couple of other technical deceptions too.
Stuff's probably OK for minor repairs in non-stressed areas but the one
where the guy split his pants or a riveted jean pocket - give me a break