Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Nylon Tear Repair ?

Hello,

Have a Nylon rain hood that goes over the top of my golf club bag to prevent
rain from hitting the clubs.
It has torn.

Is there a generally accepted really good product, perhaps, for repairing a
tear in Nylon like this ?
If so, brand please ?

Just curious, so will also ask now: are the two ends butted for the repair,
or overlapped ?

And, is tape on the underside usually needed, or required ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Have a Nylon rain hood that goes over the top of my golf club bag to prevent
rain from hitting the clubs.
It has torn.

Is there a generally accepted really good product, perhaps, for repairing a
tear in Nylon like this ?
If so, brand please ?

Just curious, so will also ask now: are the two ends butted for the repair,
or overlapped ?

And, is tape on the underside usually needed, or required ?

Thanks,
Bob

I used Gorilla glue to repair a tear in a nylon hunting boot. Boot, of
course, has underlying structure and repair looks good after 3 years.
In your case, I would use a backing nylon fabric strip. No glue is
going to hold 2 cut ends of fabric.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Have a Nylon rain hood that goes over the top of my golf club bag to
prevent rain from hitting the clubs.
It has torn.

Is there a generally accepted really good product, perhaps, for
repairing a tear in Nylon like this ?
If so, brand please ?

Just curious, so will also ask now: are the two ends butted for the
repair, or overlapped ?

And, is tape on the underside usually needed, or required ?

Thanks,
Bob

I used Gorilla glue to repair a tear in a nylon hunting boot. Boot, of
course, has underlying structure and repair looks good after 3 years.
In your case, I would use a backing nylon fabric strip.

No glue is going to hold 2 cut ends of fabric.

Too bad Billy Mays passed on....You could have told that to him about
his "Mighty Mendit". G

http://www.asontvinfomercials.com/tv...htymendit.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-07-27, Robert11 wrote:

Is there a generally accepted really good product, perhaps, for repairing a
tear in Nylon like this ?
If so, brand please ?

Maybe some kind of seam sealer tape would work?

I've never actually had the chance to apply seam tape before, so I'm not
sure how decent it would look or hold up, but that's just the first
thought that popped into my head. other than replacing the how sheet of
fabric.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hello,

Have a Nylon rain hood that goes over the top of my golf club bag to
prevent rain from hitting the clubs.
It has torn.

Is there a generally accepted really good product, perhaps, for
repairing a tear in Nylon like this ?
If so, brand please ?

Just curious, so will also ask now: are the two ends butted for the
repair, or overlapped ?

And, is tape on the underside usually needed, or required ?

Thanks,
Bob

You could find one of those iron-on patches. I think they still make them.
Just slide a piece, slightly larger than the rip inside the hood, and
carefully iron the patch area. I have done this to repair a nylon ski
jacket one time and it held up very well.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Frank wrote:
Robert11 wrote:

[...]

Yeah. I used to laugh at these commercials when they he said it was not
a glue. What is a flexible bonding agent anyway, if not a glue?

Actually, lots of things will work. I tend to use things in arsenal of
stuff I have collected over the years. If you don't care what it looks
like and there is no stress on the bag cover, you could probably get
away with duct tape.

Lot of the TV products like Mighty Mendit eventually find their way to
the dollar store. Probably could get something there now that would
work. That's where I got my last bottle of wood glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Frank wrote:

Robert11 wrote:

[...]

It snot glue?

As I learned a while ago, the technical name for that "snot glue"
stretchy stuff that peels off most things pretty easily is "fugitive glue."

The part of May's commercial I found most far out was that "microscopic
close up" showing the cleanly cut ends of individual threads of two
pieces of fabric being butted together and joined by Mighty Mendit.
Shoosh....

Jeff

Actually, lots of things will work. I tend to use things in arsenal of
stuff I have collected over the years. If you don't care what it looks
like and there is no stress on the bag cover, you could probably get
away with duct tape.

Lot of the TV products like Mighty Mendit eventually find their way to
the dollar store. Probably could get something there now that would
work. That's where I got my last bottle of wood glue.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
Frank wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Frank wrote:

Robert11 wrote:

[...]

Later when I went down to check current price, I saw that too. Pure
baloney. I could see a couple of other technical deceptions too.
Stuff's probably OK for minor repairs in non-stressed areas but the one
where the guy split his pants or a riveted jean pocket - give me a break
Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

"GoHabsGo" wrote in message
13.135...
"Robert11" wrote in
:

[...]

If all else fails, ask at a camping shop. I know they sell repair kits for
tents, but never had reason to buy one.

Keith