Posted to alt.home.repair
Master Betty Master Betty is offline

Default House overheating....suggestions

"Ken" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
Rookie-at-home wrote:
I've just bought a new (over 40yrs old) home. It doesn't have A/C and
it becomes very warm during the day (+85F)

I've installed screened windows & doors (to allow for circulation) but
it still becomes very warm. I think the attic (crawl space) is
trapping heat. I don't have any exterior ceiling ventilation except
for soffit vents.

If not this, what else could be causing the heat to build up? How
best to fix?

In addition to the good suggestions that you've already received, I'd
like to add this: given the age of the home, it *may* be due for a new
roof some time soon. Using white shingles, instead of dark gray or black,
can lower attic temperatures by as much as 30 degrees F.

I heard 10 degrees F but that was from a roofing salesman. He said the ridge
vent was the way to go (up to 50 degrees) but I've been up there pretty
regular and it's still hotter than Hades.

White shingles might be hard to find. So many people prefer dark and they
don't flatten out in the winter as good as dark ones do. I'd consider the
climate. Where I live, central tx, I doubt there would be a temperature
issue.

With Obama's climate guru saying to use white shingles, I'll bet the white
ones on hand are sold out.

OP: You might want to look into a whole house fan, depending where you live.