Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default whole house dehumidifier

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I hate to run the cooling feature of my A/C when the problem is the
humidity and not the temperature. Is there such a thing as a humidifier
that gets hooked into your A/C system and removes the moisture from the
circulating air? DAGS gave some positive results, but no clear cut answer.

Thanks

Aaron

I use my A/C primarily for humidity. It's a matter of how long I run it.

Air accounts for about 1% of a house's mass. If I blow a fan on a
thermometer and run the A/C until the temperature drops 1 F,
considerable humidity will have been removed, but if I shut off the A/C,
the mass of the house will soon warm the air to its original
temperature. So I haven't cooled the house enough to measure.

I use a fan and a wet-bulb/dry-bulb thermometer to tell me when to run
the A/C. As much as possible, I cool the mass of the house by night
ventilation.