Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Mixing small amounts of 2-cycle fuel

zxcvbob wrote:
All the gasoline here, regardless of grade, is E-10 gasahol. It doesn't
last as long in storage as 100% gasoline. So for 2-cycle fuel (which I
don't use a lot of) I've started using a shotglass when I mix it. The
shotglass is graduated at .5, 1.0, and 1.5 ounces. I mix 1.5 ounces of
good quality 2-cycle oil with .55 gallons of 89 octane gasoline for a
50:1 mix (it's just a little rich.) I don't add any Stabil, but when
it's 2 or 3 months old I pour whatever is left in the 2-cycle gas can
into my truck. Then I mix a fresh batch next time I need some.

I got tired of mixing up a whole gallon at a time and having it go
stale. Then I used it anyway, and it would eventually gum up my
carburetors.

For 20 years, I've been using a small soda bottle, a syringe, and
milliliters.

Originally, my intention was to shorten the required shelf life by
mixing less.

Soda bottles seal tightly, which means I don't lose volatiles or draw in
oxygen and water vapor. Concerned about reliability, I've always stored
the bottles outside. I've never had a bottle crack. In my experience,
a bottle will last years. Eventually, the seal in the cap goes bad.

With a transparent bottle, I don't have to remember if I've added oil.
It's easy to carry, easy to see how much is left, and easy to pour.

At first I used a 1-liter bottle. Now I use a 591ml bottle with a
magic-marker line for 500ml. Even full, it has 18% head space so it can
warm up without much pressure.

With a syringe, I can measure oil more precisely than with a glass. Not
much oil is left on the walls, and it's internal, where it won't gather
dirt. Because oil is viscous, a syringe needs big passages.

I make fewer mistakes with easy calculations, and working with ml makes
calculations easy. 500 ml at 50:1? I suck up 10 ml of oil with my
syringe and squirt it into the bottle.